‘The Crown’ star Jonathan Pryce is ‘hugely disappointed’ by the show’s latest critics, which include a scathing review from the Guardian’s David Abissons as well as Tom Stoppard tweeting his disgust at the decision.
And for the first time, it has been revealed that viewers will have been watching Pryce’s character, Prince Charles, in what he calls a “flimsy, one-note exercise”.
The BBC has issued a statement to In Touch, claiming the Queen’s decision to cancel the series was “not related to Jonathan Pryce’s character, Charles, nor his performance”.
After a viewing of the new drama, viewers have been left “haunted” by the decision.
The decision means viewers will have been watching Pryce’s character, Charles, in a “flimsy, one-note exercise”, says the BBC
In response to the decision, Pryce says he was “haunted” by the episode, which has been described as “the worst episode of the series so far”.
He continued: “I was devastated by the decision to cancel, from watching the episode on Monday night.
“To be fair, the Queen did give a good reason for her decision to cancel. I found it very hard to take, and I wasn’t the only one.”
Pryce, who is a trained chef, and the rest of the cast have been left “haunted” by the decision to cancel Pryce’s character in the new episode. Pictured from left to right: James McArdle (Charles), Olivia Colman (Vicky), and Jonathan Pryce (Prince Charles)
In addition to the cast members, the series also featured John Cleese (Colman), Colin Firth (Barry) and John Bradley (Nelson).
The BBC released a statement to In Touch, stating: “The decision made by The Queen to cancel the programme due to lack of interest from the audience and disappointing ratings is not related to the actor playing Prince Charles, Jonathan Pryce.
“Charles is not the only character on the show.”
In Touch has asked the BBC about